While It's Still Called Today

I like to take the road less traveled - literally! I love lonely roads where few cars tend to travel. Earlier this week I was driving home from a friend's house pretty late at night.

I have a regular route I take home from this particular part of town. Even during peak hours, it's fairly light as far as traffic goes. I like roads like this because I tend to think best when I'm driving. I don't know why that is but as you can imagine, it helps greatly if there are no other vehicles around while I'm not concentrating on the road!

As I was driving home that night, I began to think about leap year. Trust me. The thoughts I think just come to me. I don't get in the car and say to myself, "Okay. Think about leap year." That would be crazy!

Specifically, I started to remember a devotional I shared last leap year at the job I had at that time. That morning as I realized the significance of the day, it occurred to me that leap day is kind of a freebie. It's an extra day we get every four years. How was I going to spend it?

It's really a question we should be asking ourselves everyday. "What am I going to do with this gift called today?

So now I ask you. If you were given one extra day not scheduled on your calendar, what would you do with it? Would you go back and redo something you did wrong the day before? Would you tackle that project you've put off for way too long? Would you mend a fence between you and a friend that has gone untouched for longer than it should? Perhaps you would finally make that phone call you've been saying you would.

I can go on and on with the questions but you know what your list of somedays and eventuallys consist of but the point I was trying to make to those ladies was this. Everyday is a gift. Those people that make us cringe, those things we keep putting off, those issues we refuse to deal with all deserve a second chance TODAY. What are those things for you?

Can I ask you something else? Why not today?

"You've got to live every moment as though it was your last
Before the thief of always steals tomorrow from your past.
Before the chance to know His love has somehow passed you by
Let you heart reach out, right here, right now, before tomorrow passes by."

Comments

Popular Posts