The Blessing Called Friends

Let's talk about friends! I have been told by some very observant people that I have great friends. They are so right!

I have a friend who loans me her car when mine is in the shop, and whenever I do something new to the house, I can't tell which of us is more excited. It's good to have a friend who shares in your joys.

I have a friend that can make me laugh like no other. We have stories that few believe and no one would ever publish because they are simply unbelievably hysterical. She totally gets me and I get her. It's good to have a friend who knows who you really are and can make you laugh without even trying.

I have a friend that loves me no matter what. She caters to my flights of fancy which may not necessarily always be a good thing. Never the less, it makes me feel like a princess! She cooks for me, too. Actually, she'll cook for just about anyone but she saves her special dishes for me. If I am having a gathering at my home, she doesn't ask "if". She tells me what she's bringing! It's good to have a friend you can count on and one who always makes you feel special.

I have a friend that gave me a memory I will never forget. During her engagement, we were running around doing fun wedding stuff when all of a sudden she turned to me and said, "I can't wait until we're doing this for your wedding!" No one had ever said that to me before and I have done the "wedding thing" with LOTS of friends. During one of the most exciting times of a girl's life when it really is mostly all about you, the bride, my friend saw that there was someone else there. It's good to have a friend who "sees" you and considers your heart in the matter.

I have many other amazing friends as well. One who mothers me and makes sure I'm eating. Ha! She's still getting to know me!

A friend who knows my favorite songs - the ones that touch me so deeply that I scarcely want to breath. When the ocassion arises, she chooses them just for me.

A friend who does stuff around the house for me simply because he realizes that someone should.

A friend who I talk with regularly on the phone - the ONLY friend I talk with regularly on the phone. She keeps a close eye on me and always wants to know what's going on in my life even though it's been less than a week since we've last spoken.

I could go on and on and on, but the point is this. My life is rich with the blessing of friends. They've held me through my darkest hours and stood watch when I could not. They have caused my sides to ache and my breathing to stop with their hilarious antics. They have lended a hand when I needed it most and even when I didn't realize I did. Without asking they've pitched in, packed up, taken me away, humored me and given me the royal treatment. Above all, they've stood in the gap for me on more occasions than I will ever know.

How does one get through life without friends?

I have mixed emotions when people say things to me like, "Wow! You have such great friends!" I feel both gratitude and sorrow for while I know their words are more than accurate, I realize their experience may be considerably less than what they see before them.

I've come to appreciate my friends much more over the years. I now value in greater measure the quality of our time together than over the volume of personalities gathered together in one place. Each one is a treasure, carefully uncovered over the years. I would not trade a single one although they may not say the same! ;D

Comments

Popular Posts