Restore


I have been looking forward to this day all week, perhaps even longer. This is the day I officially got to do nothing. I have not had a day like this in quite some time and this week, I really needed it.

It's funny. I had to ask myself, "What does "nothing" look like?" I wasn't really sure at first but I think I have managed to define it, at least for me.

Today, I would not allow myself to work on a single on-going project. In my mind, I had a few quick projects I considered tackling, but gave in to only one which I considered of some importance. I am glad I got it out of the way and it did not interfere much with my nothing day.

I had a stack of magazines that lay in wait for my nothing day. Going through them was a rare treat I should give myself more often. The treasures I found inside will keep my creative juices flowing for weeks to come.

I put some fresh cut flowers in the guest room but I had to rearrange a few things in order for them to fit properly. While doing so, I remembered a handkerchief I found not too long ago which belonged to my mother. I retrieved it and stuck it in the bible on which her eye glasses rest. Having those precious things together made me lonesome for her. I am grateful for such sweet gifts.

A post by an old college friend, Renae Brumbaugh, caught my eye while I was on Facebook today. It was about a book she wrote entitled, Morning Coffee with James. I love Renae's heart so I knew it must be good. I clicked on the Amazon link on her wall to get a closer look.

I was only able to read the first excerpt listed on the page. I was too undone to read any further. I simply melted as I heard the Father speaking right to my heart, the very same word He had spoken to me earlier this week, which was the real reason for my nothing day. I was in pursuit!

Earlier, I researched this single word and poured over it in prayer wanting to know exactly what it meant for me. Having some finite idea, I continued to ponder it throughout the day until I came across this entry in Renae's book. I won't say that I fully understand, but my soul is now at rest with the issue.

You see the pleasant distractions, the cherished memories and even the small task of today all acted as restoring agents to a weary soul. Could your soul use some rest? Then take time out to pursue the One who relentlessly pursues you.

"...He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul."
Psalm 23:2-3

...and yes, I ordered Renae's book!








Comments

  1. Wowser! To say this is timely would be an understatement.....thanks for sharing your life so completely.....

    P.S. What's the song that is playing--I'm undone by that as well as your words!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

...and your thoughts?

Popular Posts