The Beauty in Cloaks and Branches


Read Mark 11:1-10

 When they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it. Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields.  Mark 11:7-8


I know it seems weird to share this passage of scripture as part of an Advent reading, but please hang in there with me while I explain.

I read this a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I got to verses 7 and 8, I froze. I mean, how many times have I possibly read this passage and simply moved on? Many, I'm sure, but not this time. This time I was struck by what I felt the Lord was showing me through the seemingly unimportant extravagance of cloaks and branches.

Offering all they had to welcome the King, members of the crowd took off their outer garments and laid them on the ground to be trampled upon. Others brought branches. So that means they were prepared. 

What is so beautiful about this is that without a care for their own personal affects, and as a sign of honor, followers in the crowd stopped to pay homage to their King in the most humble way they knew how. I want to be that prepared when the Lord invades my world. 

My prayer is that the wonder of this season would overwhelm us in such a way that we would give no thought to what others might think as we usher in the presence of our King.

Lord Jesus, surprise us and overwhelm us with your wonder. Cause our hearts to burst with joy as we celebrate you, this Christmas season.


Comments

Popular Posts